Wednesday, May 8, 2013

C'est Jolie Quoi?


I know it has been awhile since my last post, but it has been a busy past two weeks.  Today is my last day of classes and minus my Wolof Final on Monday I have these next two weeks before I leave Dakar to finish my adventures, spend time with my CIEE friends, Senegalese friends, and host family, get in a few more beach days, and try to soak in everything I love about Senegal one last time.

I apologize for the lack of pictures in this post, the internet keeps going out.  

Sine Saloum and Mar Lodj
            Two weekends ago CIEE took us on our last program sponsored excursion to the Sine Saloum region, specifically the beautiful island of Mar Lodj.  It was about a 4 hour drive but since it was a CIEE sponsored trip we took comfortable, air conditioned buses.  In order to get to the island we had to take an hour-long Pirogue (boat) ride through the mangroves, can you say relaxing and beautiful?  We were in Mar Lodj for two nights which allowed us plenty of time to bond all together for the last time while enjoying the delicious meals provided by our encampment, the private beach and even the encampment’s bocce ball court and ping pong table.  We also took a cherette (horse drawn cart) around the villages of Mar Lodj and even stopped to play soccer with a gang of kids.  On Saturday night the village had a lutte (wrestling) match with local lutters and then some guest fights from our very own CIEE students.  We all “lutted” each other, I lost to my friend Cara, and the whole event ended with our very own Ethan wrestling and beating a Senegalese wrestler.  Overall, it was a relaxing, entertaining, and beautiful weekend and we all had a hard time realizing it was the last time we would all be together outside of class in Senegal


Lompoul Desert and Saint-Louis 
            Speaking of last excursions, this past weekend I went to the desert of Lompoul and Saint-Louis with Bridget, Cara, and Taylor.  I have gone on multiple amazing, hilarious, crazy trips with this group of girls throughout my time in Senegal and our final one was no different.  Lompoul Desert is about 4 hours outside of Dakar and is technically part of the Sahel Desert.  After being dropped off in Lompoul Village our encampment came to pick us up in a giant truck with seats in the back and we began a 20-minute trek into the desert.   I have never really been in a desert before and let me just say, sand dunes are more beautiful than I expected.  In Lompoul we rode camels, yes we rode camels!  It was quite an “Oh yeah I am in Africa” moment as I looked over the Sahel while on the back of a camel.  Our encampment provided us with a delicious dinner and some appetizers and even a drumming spectacle where my friend Cara and I jumped in with our skills we had learned from our previous drumming lessons.
            The next day we took off to Saint-Louis and decided to take a Senegalese bus, aka bad decision.  It took us about 3 hours to travel a route that should have taken one hour.  The bus stopped literally every 10 minutes and we were very relieved to finally arrive in Saint-Louis at about 3:30 in the afternoon.  Saint-Louis is the old capitol of Senegal as well as the old capitol of all of West Africa.  It was the first city in West Africa colonized by Europeans.  As with a lot of things in Senegal, Saint-Louis is an island and because of its European influence there is a mix of beautiful colonial European buildings and Senegalese buildings and boutiques.  We wandered around the island during the day and chatted with the pleasant people of Saint-Louis.  After dinner we stumbled upon a huge concert in the town square where Titi, a very famous Senegalese singer, was performing.  After that we went to a bar called the Flamingo, which is not only next to the water but has a pool also! 
            It was a bittersweet moment as we climbed into yet another sept-place to take us back to Dakar at the end of our final adventure together.  These last two weeks are going to fly by and exactly two weeks from today I will be meeting my parents in baggage claim at the Dubrovnik airport in Croatia, CRAZY.

No comments:

Post a Comment